1 Nov 2013

OULIPO STRIPS







Play around with the sonnets by manipulating the numbers on the left.
The radio buttons give the complete sonnets.
To get a random selection click on "Mix it up".






Ouvroir de littérature potentielle

The Oulipian constraint is used as a means of triggering ideas and inspiration;

Initiated by Raymond Queneau, who took ten of his sonnets and cut them up into strips by the line.

He reckoned that with 140 strips, each containing one sentence, he could manufacture

100,000,000,000,000 poems.
I.O.W. 1 with 14 zeroes.

Cent mille milliards de poèmes




He used scissors, I wanted to do it electronically.
Hopefully this works.I've stuffed it so full of javascripts, which may start to fight each other and clog up the works.
Never mind.




Queneau's French sonnets are on the right.
Mine are not a translation, but just a bit of fun to get an impression of what they tried to achieve with these methods.
Writing 10 sonnets in one evening, even silly ones, is quite a marathon.
The fact that I kept to the French rhyme didn't help: there isn't much about that rhymes with 'clock' or 'toque'.


This is not going to be visible on a phone.

Now also visible on chrome.






10 comments:

Janine Bollée said...

@ Nick,
If you managed to make your way over here, I'd love to hear what you advise:
Forget about it?
I'm not even sure it is foolproof.

I always get carried away. Grateful for the inspiration, but shy with pushing it down people's throat.

Jeff said...

I think you are more technologically advanced than I am (pretty sure of it, in fact). Do you know what I'm doing wrong? I'm only seeing a blank three-field chart. If there's something I can do on my end to access your work on this, I'm willing to give it a try. The anticipation is killing me!

aprille said...

Hiya Nick,
I'll have to try and see it on other browsers.
What a pity it doesn't come up. I''l take another look in the morning.

Janine Bollée said...

Just checked it on chrome: only the outlines, like you said. I can't find any buttons on chrome to see if js has been enabled.
Pity. I use Firefox. Maybe you get a chance to use another browser for a look? I'll leave it here for a bit.

Claudia said...

oh wow.... how cool is that... i can only imagine how much work this must've been... i could spend hours to play around and try all the different versions... really stunning work aprille.. you should link this up for OLN so that more people can see and enjoy it..

Claudia said...

i've switched from chrome to firefox just lately cause my computer kept crashing under chrome...

Jeff said...

Evidently I've deleted Firefox from my computer--I remember having a ton of problems with it in the past, but I thought I still had it installed.

I tried to view in Explorer and had the same problem that I faced with Chrome. If you can leave the link up for a few days, I'll get around to downloading Firefox so I can see it--I have a heavy workload this weekend so it may be a bit. Thanks for your work and patience with me on this!

Janine Bollée said...

I checked the html code, trying to find an inaccuracy which Firefox allows but the other browsers object to, but after trying many variati9ns I am no further.
Sorry. And yes, I'll leave it here.

Janine Bollée said...

Firefox has a built-in JavaScript debugging system. The other browsers don't.

brudberg said...

Wow.. this is amazingly impressive..

..